Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire Damage Restoration; SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills Makes You Feel ‘Like it never even happened’.
Call on the fire damage restoration experts at SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills!
Though it’s not the worst that can happen when your Orange County home is damaged in a fire, smoke still takes a nasty toll in many ways.
When plastics and other synthetics burn, they create a tough-to-clean mess. Likewise, when paper or wood burns, there is still soot and ash to contend with. The fact that much of our furniture and most of our gadgets and appliances are at least partially composed of plastics means that the risk of the presence of poisonous gasses (produced when plastic burns or melts) is higher than it once was.
At SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills, we see a lot of homes with fire damage. Our experience has shown that other materials present additional risks. Glass doesn’t burn, but it can shatter. Synthetics are yet another common material that burns and presents additional challenges. You’ll find synthetic fibers in carpeting, insulation, lighting fixtures and more. Poisonous gasses, smoke and soot danger and odors that permeate the home once the fire is put out are all part of a fire disaster.
At SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills, we take personal pride in helping families and businesses get on with the daily pre-fire routines as soon as possible. We provide services such as:
- Boarding up your structure
- Tarping your home's roof (avoiding additional water damage in case it rains)
- Removing charred materials
- Cleaning up soot
- Removing the firefighters' water and foam
- Drying out the structure
- Deodorizing your home (ridding it of the smoke smell)
After a fire, you’ve got a lot to think about. We excel in helping our customers feel better by knowing things are under control and progressing back to ‘normaL’. We’re ready to answer the many questions you’re certain to have. Our highly trained, certified, experienced and trustworthy team members are personally vested in your quick recovery.
Want to find out more? See our testimonials page to see how past customers felt about working with us. http://www.SERVPROanaheimhills.com/testimonials
Need help right away? Call us at714-776-6222.
Fire Damage Restoration in Stanton. Three Condos, Three Owners, One Fire and One Excellent Restoration Company.
After a fire, you need a restoration company that shares your urgency, has integrity, and consistently delivers. Call SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills.
Recently, SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills had an opportunity to assist in a fire damage restoration project involving three adjoining condominium units in Stanton. Because of the very strong reputation we have within the insurance industry, we were the referred restoration service called out to help.
As it happened, a garage fire spread to the kitchen of the adjoining condominium and from there, also caused extensive fire and smoke damage in the second condo. The third condo unit suffered only limited smoke damage.
By a twist of fate, it turned out that all three condos were insured by the same carrier and all three claims had been phoned in around the same time. SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills enjoys a strong referral relationship with this carrier and we were sent to all three locations.
Our first responsibility was to board up the structures to prevent vandalism. Because of the scale of this disaster, we sent three separate teams and vehicles out to the property to take pictures for the carrier and begin restoration services. While on the premises, the owner of the condo nearest the garage had requested that we begin the fire damage restoration process immediately. The owner of the next condo over, initially rejected our services and was upset that we’d begun taking the photographs. We proceeded to focus on condos one and three, and informed the carrier that the owner had rejected our services.
Because this property had been built post-1980, asbestos was not an issue and a lab test confirmed it. However, in situations where asbestos tests are positive, an environmental service company is actually required to provide the restoration services.
Restoration work in the first condo included using water extractors, air movers and dehumidifiers to completely dry the interior. Additionally, when water has been absorbed into the walls, drying requires removing a section of wall (often one to two-foot section (floor-up)) to remove wet insulation and expose studs. All hard surfaces are thoroughly cleaned to remove all smoke and soot and a deodorizer is used to eliminate residual odors disposed of. This will include furniture covered in fabric, drapes, carpeting etc.
While work on the first condo was underway, the owner of the second condo took note of the diligence, integrity, concern for the home owner’s property, timeliness and skill level of our team. The owner actually called his carrier and requested that our team be sent back to initiate and complete service on the second property.
The third condo only incurred minor smoke damage and our excellent team of technicians were able to swiftly clean and deodorize that property.
In every instance, our team’s primary concern is to help the property owner move as quickly past the event as possible. We know that worry always run high in these situations and our team members genuinely care about making everything feel ‘all right’ again. We know that our confidence in a positive result, our high level of knowledge which we share with the property owners via careful step-by-step explanations, our integrity by meeting all of our commitments on a timely basis, and the relationships we develop with every party involved all combine to make the property owner’s experience a positive one.
It’s consistently positive results like this that have made SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills the #1 SERVPRO franchise in California. See what our customers have said about us; read our testimonials. http://www.SERVPROanaheimhills.com/testimonials
Need immediate water damage restoration? Call us at 714-776-6222.
Protecting Your Pets When Your Anaheim Hills Home Experiences a Fire
Develop a Fire Preparedness Plan Now! Make SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills Part of Your Fire Damage Restoration Plans!
So much is at stake when your Anaheim Hills home experiences a fire. In a serious one, the urgency to save critical documents, and protect our family members is often the first thing we attend to. Of course, our pets are important to us as well, but they often get scared because they don’t fully understand the situation and saving them can be difficult. Tragically, Americans lose 40,000 pets every year due to home fires.
Like many other emergency preparedness tips, its important to have as plan that everyone knows when it comes to protecting our four-legged family members from harm in case of a home fire. Here are a few things you can easily do now so that if the time comes, you are as prepared as you can be.
Does your dog know to ‘come’ when you call? Unless ‘Rover’ has learned this, protecting him may be more difficult than it needs to be. Take time out to train your pet. There are many websites and YouTube videos that deal with simple behaviors like ‘come when called’ and many pet supply stores can direct you to a good local trainer.
If your fire damage forces you to leave your home during restoration, it’s also important to have a safe place you can keep them while you’re living in a hotel. Have this planned out in advance.
There are also steps you can take which can help prevent fires which may be accidentally started by a pet in a home that has not been properly safe-guarded. These include:
Putting out any open flames – this could include candles, fire places, anything which could lead to an uncontrolled fire (imagine a lit candle being knocked over by a pet for instance).
Believe it or not, stove tops and cook tops are the leading cause of pet-started fires. Before leaving home, be certain to cover the cook tops and remove stove nobs. Think of your pets as children; you are child-proofing your home!
Make things easy for fire-fighters. Imagine the difficulty a fire-fighter might have catching a frightened pet if there’s a fire when you’re away from home. Make it easier by keeping leashes easily available (and visible). Keep collars on your pets when you leave home. If you own a cat, leave a visible sign out for fire fighters to find alerting them to where your cat likes to hide when he/ she feels scared or threatened.
More tips for cat owners:
Learn to carry your cat by the loose skin around the neck (scruff) this will help you avoid being clawed by a scared and angry cat. Likewise, keep a pet carrier in an easy to reach spot. Also, have your cat (and dog) micro-chipped in case they get loose and run away during the fire event.
Other Helpful Tips
- Secure Young Pets - keep them confined away from potential fire-starting hazards when you are away from home such as in crates or behind baby gates in secure areas.
- Keep pets near entrances when away from home. Keep collars on pets and leashes at the ready in case firefighters need to rescue your pet. When leaving pets home alone, keep them in areas or rooms near entrances where firefighters can easily find them.
- Affix a pet alert window cling and write down the number of pets inside your house and attach the static cling to a front window. This critical information saves rescuers time when locating your pets. Make sure to keep the number of pets listed on them updated.
- Prepare emergency kits for your pet – include food, water, bowls, cat litter & pan, medications or prescriptions and vet paperwork. Also include a photo of your pets in case they get lost, shot records, proof of ownership.
- Consider investing in a pet fire alert collar – this innovative product works together with your home smoke detector and allows you to locate your pet as the collar flashes and sounds off when your smoke detector goes off.
A fire in your home can be dangerous, and expensive, but in many cases, it need not be a complete catastrophe. Just have a preparedness plan and make sure your entire family knows it and is ready to follow it at any moment’s notice.
An important part of your plan should also include having a relationship with a trustworthy restoration company. SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills is the #1 SERVPRO franchise in California. We’ve been helping families and businesses with fire restoration following fire damage for over fifteen years. See what some of our customers have said about us on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/SERVPRO-of-anaheim-hills-anaheim-2. Need help now? Call us at (714) 776-6221. We’ll make you feel like it never even happened!
Preparing for The Worst, Hoping for the Best. SERVPRO Anaheim Hills. Fire Remediation.
SERVPRO Anaheim Hills is committed to helping our customers get their lives back to normal after a fire loss in their homes or businesses. Our pledge is to make you feel like it never even happened! Our entire team has been specially hired, trained and now has over fifteen years’ experience in successful fire remediation.
While we’d always prefer that you never have to suffer a fire damage-related loss, the facts show that fire remediation is almost inevitable. According to the National Fire Protection Association, it’s not a question of ‘if’ you will suffer through fire damage and loss, it’s actually a question of ‘when’ and even ‘how often’. For instance, their July, 2009 poll revealed these statistics:
- Number of home fires your household can expect in an average lifetime: 5
- Chances your household will have a reported home fire in an average lifetime: 1 in 4
- Chances that someone in your household will suffer a fire injury in an average lifetime: 1 in 10
- Chances that someone in your household will suffer an injury in a reported fire in an average lifetime: 1 in 89
Part of getting on with life begins long before any residential or commercial fire damage. Here are a few recommendations we’ve researched for you, our valued customers.
- Step One: Take an inventory of all your possessions via video. Store the video in a safety deposit box or fire-proof safe. The less you own, the less you will need to replace later. While conducting inventory, ask yourself what important difference each item contributes to your family’s happiness and security. Chances are, you’ll identify a number of items you can untangle from.
- Step Two: Make a list of all the items you’ve decided are important to your life and review it with your insurance agent. While you’re at it, check to see if your policy covers you with a special technology rider for things like your home computer, laptop, and other devices. We’re so gadget-prone these days!
Protect Your Digital Assets
- Protect your digital property and store it in a fireproof storage. This could include your iTunes collection, application software, video games and anything else you’ve invested in and want to save in case of a fire.
Convert Analog to Digital
- Scan family photos digitize photos and videos such as weddings, birth, anniversary parties – everything that has emotional importance.
- Scan important documents (listed below).
- Save all your digital belongings on storage devices kept in a fire-safe box or safe deposit box. Make redundant copies of all the most important files and store these in the cloud.
Emergency Contact Lists
- Create a list of important numbers and email it to your personal, web-based email carrier (Gmail, yahoo etc.) This list should include
- Doctors for all family members – phone and address
- Dentists for all family members – phone and address
- Veterinarian for all pets – phone and address
- Health insurance information – in addition to phone number, add the policy information and policy number to the Notes field (this makes it easy to find your info quickly during routine doctor’s visits!)
- Closest emergency room – phone and address
- School or child care provider for each child – phone and address
- Parent’s contact information – home, work, cell numbers
- Family/friends/neighbors – home, cell numbers
- Household contacts, like babysitter/nanny, pet-sitter (You might keep these in a separate category as well)
- Disaster Relief Services: g. The Red Cross offers temporary shelter, meals and even medicine.
- Miscellaneous services, like water company, electric company, gas company, alarm company, locksmith, plumber, roadside assistance (You might keep these in a separate category as well)
Protect Important Documents
- Protect your important personal, financial and legal documents. As mentioned, above, there are certain documents that are essential to your financial and legal security. See our tips about these under Convert Analog to Digital. Additionally, protect the original documents by keeping them in a fire-proof storage box or safe deposit box.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to fire loss. The receipts may be needed later by the insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
Be Properly Insured
- Of course, one of the most important steps every home owner should take is to acquire the proper level of insurance coverage. Unfortunately, there are several common pitfalls many people encounter while shopping for home owner’s insurance. Watch out for these!
Pitfall #1: Limits on Coverage: Make sure you understand exactly what kind of coverage your policy offers, and if it attaches a specific dollar value to the structure, make sure you're willing to live with the figure. If not, ask your agent to make a change.
Pitfall #2: Low Liability Coverage: When it comes to liability coverage, many homeowners buy only what their insurer offers them, usually only $100,000 in coverage. Some people don’t take the possibility of personal suit for bodily injury or property damage. For just a little more, you can buy umbrella liability coverage of $1 million or more for between $200 and $350 per year.
Pitfall #3: Insufficient Personal Property Coverage: If you are a collector of any sort of valuable, from old coins to Persian rugs, the standard homeowners may not provide you with sufficient coverage. The solution is to take the physical inventory of personal possessions discussed above.
Pitfall #4: Insufficient Natural Disaster Coverage: If you live in an area prone to natural disasters, your homeowner’s policy may not cover some losses. In fact, most standard plans don't include coverage for flood or earthquake. It is possible, however, to purchase separate coverage against ‘Acts of God” such as tornadoes, natural wild fires, flood insurance and more.
agent who sells you homeowners coverage.
We hope this preparation blog has sparked a few new ideas to help you and your family prepare for the worst. We hope it never comes to this, but if it does, we hope you’ll remember SERVPRO Anaheim! We suggest you keep our number among those Emergency Contacts we mentioned above; 714-701-0207. Interested in referrals? Check out our Yelp page! https://www.yelp.com/biz/SERVPRO-of-anaheim-hills-anaheim-2?osq=SERVPRO+Anaheim+Hills
Memorial Day Fire Requires Emergency SERVPRO Services
Fire damage is a terrible situation, but it’s worse when it happens on a holiday. Just when one family was waking up to prepare for their Memorial Day barbecue, an electrical fire started and destroyed their apartment. Though thankfully no one was hurt, it was certainly an inconvenience for the family that weekend. And luckily, SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
They gave us a call that morning at 11:30 a.m. and we had someone out within the hour. Our first priority: ensuring the safety of the family and the tenants of the surrounding apartments. We set up a family in a hotel and since they already had enough to deal with, we called their insurance company for them as well. We then immediately set to work to keep the neighbors safe. Though the fire was out, the smell of smoke was pervading through the walls.
We set up air scrubbers in the apartment and around the surrounding apartments to keep the smell from going through and seeping into the furniture. Also, because the fire had ruined the electricity in that building, we set up generators so the surrounding apartments had energy.
Then we started the real work. We removed all the fire damage in the home, which turned out to be the majority of the apartment. When the firefighters arrived to put the fire out, they had also caused a good amount of water damage in part of the unit, so we cleared that out as well.
The tenants and the owner of the building were so happy with the work that SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills was able to do. In the matter of just one day—and a holiday at that!—we set everything up for the affected family as well as the surrounding neighbors. They told us they had created a lifetime customer, and thanked us repeatedly for our quick and efficient work.
SERVPRO Wins Over New Client
At SERVPRO of Anaheim Hills, we know we do the best work out there. Whether it’s a water damage removal or a mold remediation or anything in between, we trust our work to be the best in the business. It isn’t just our word that has to be trusted, though. We have plenty of happy clients that have given us the best reviews!
For one homeowner, they were dealing with a toilet overflow that had affected a few rooms in the house. They had originally called another water damage company, but the company was taking over a week to get them an initial quote. What’s more: the other water damage company told them they would have to demo almost the entire kitchen to remove all the water damage that had been done. But once they said that, the company became fairly unresponsive. The homeowner knew they had to get something done, and fast.
She called us on a Saturday afternoon and we were out there within 90 minutes. Our Production Manager, Chris Trejo, was the one that took the call. When he walked into the home and did the initial inspection, he was able to come up with a guaranteed price on-site. The homeowner loved his quick work, and accepted immediately.
Chris called out our team of expert technicians to start the work. There was damage to the upstairs bathroom, the downstairs kitchen, the cabinets in the kitchen, as well as a small hole and damage in the ceiling. We removed some of the drywall in the kitchen, but were able to dry everything else in place. We saved both the tile and the cabinets in the kitchen.
The homeowner was so happy with our work. Not only did we get the job done quickly, but we did it so that they were still able to live in the house and use the kitchen. We also worked well with their schedule so we could come in after she was come from work, after six each night. She assured us she knew she made the right choice when it came to switching companies!